Advice from teens
Last Updated on Sunday, 19 June 2011 14:39 Wednesday, 15 June 2011 13:17
ADVICE FROM TEENS: 10 KEYS TO A GOOD FRIENDSHIP
- Pick people who have similar interests as you, so you have things in common, but don't rule out people who aren't exactly like you, it's good to keep an open mind.
- Remember the Golden Rule - treat others the way you would like to be treated. If you respect others, others will respect you.
- Realize that nobody's perfect, everybody has quirks and flaws, and accepting each other's flaws are key to a good friendship.
- Value each other's opinions.
- Realize that even the best of friends can't be together 24/7. Develop other interests and don't be jealous when your friend has other interests as well.
- Communication is really important, your friend can't read your mind, if something is affecting your friendship, tell him/her.
- Don't let outside factors like stress affect your friendship. A good friend will let you vent to them, but don’t just use them to vent, and you should be ready to listen in return.
- Learn from each other.
- Don't talk behind your friend's back.
- Choose your words wisely, because you can never take them back.
ADVICE FROM TEENS: 10 WAYS TO DEAL WITH A TRAUMATIC EVENT
- Write down your feelings and observations in a journal
- Help out someone or volunteer for something
- Build on your "support system" - hang out with friends and family
- Learn from the traumatic event - has anything positive come out of it?
- Try not to let it interfere - try to do all your normal activities
- Eat well
- Get plenty of sleep
- Turn to your religion for comfort (pray, meditate)
- Have fun and try to escape sometimes (like going to the movies, working on a hobby)
- Don’t rely on alcohol or drugs
- Make a plan with your family/carer or friends about what you would do in the event of a tragedy.
ADVICE FROM TEENS: 10 WAYS TO GET A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP
- Listen to soothing music.
- Set up a routine. Go to bed at the same time every night.
- Read a book of your choice.
- Do some light exercise.
- Consider aromatherapy.
- Shower before bed.
- Don't eat sugar or caffeine before you sleep.
- Try to avoid heavy meals before bedtime.
- Don't face the clock while you try to sleep so it doesn't distract you.
- Use breathing exercises to relax you.
ADVICE FROM TEENS: 10 WAYS TO DE-STRESS YOUR LIFE!
- Stop what you are doing and take several deep breaths. Try to calm down.
- Put things in perspective, no matter how bad your situation is, it will get better.
- Take time for yourself, do something that makes you feel good, like listening to relaxing music.
- Don't be afraid to ask for help.
- Try writing in a journal about your feelings, sometimes venting helps.
- If you're fighting a deadline, talk to your teacher or boss about getting an extension, then put it to good use, don't leave it until the last minute.
- Don't procrastinate, break assignments up into smaller tasks, make a schedule, and stick to it.
- Get a stress ball.
- RELAX! Take life one day at a time.
- If something is really getting to you, take a break, and work on something else.
7 WAYS TO JUST RELAX!
- Sit down. Sometimes taking stress off your feet helps you feel better.
- Go for a walk. Getting in touch with nature may make you feel relaxed.
- Listen to your favourite music. Doing something you like may help you relax.
- Talk to someone/something. Letting out your emotions will help get the stress out of you which will in turn help you relax.
- Write. Sometimes writing something for your eyes only will help.
- Meditate. It may sound silly but maybe getting in touch with your senses will help.
- Work out. When you do something that's fun and helps you look your best you'll feel much more relaxed.
9 WAYS TO SPEED UP YOUR MORNING RITUAL!
- Pick out an outfit for college/work the night before.
- Don't skip breakfast; it's the most important meal of the day. Pick something that you can eat on the run.
- Eat on the run in a healthy way
- Pack your bag/purse the night before
- If you need to blow-dry your hair, do it the night before.
- Know your schedule, if it takes you longer to wake up, either set your alarm for a little earlier than necessary, or set your clock ahead to give yourself some extra time.
- Don't leave homework until the morning, print things out when you do them.
- Listen to upbeat music to get you moving.
- Bottom line: get up on time and get yourself in gear!