Tips to staying healthy?
Last Updated on Sunday, 19 June 2011 14:19 Wednesday, 15 June 2011 13:16
Eating the right foods will give you the energy you need if you want to exercise, go out with your friends or if you just need a boost to get up off the sofa!
Four top tips to keep up your energy levels:
- Always eat breakfast – if you are in a hurry grab a piece of fruit!
- Eat regularly
- Eat foods rich in iron – things like wholegrain cereals, leafy green vegetables, dried fruits and baked beans.
- Drink lots of water every day.
Healthy Habits tips
Just like brushing your teeth, healthy habits should be cultivated on a daily basis. The following is a guide to daily tasks:
- Activity should be a daily occurrence. Walk, run or jump for a minimum total of 20 minutes a day.
- Protect your skin. Sun block should be applied on face, neck, arms and hands even in the dead of winter. Moisturize skin daily.
- Eat fruits, vegetables, grains, low-fat dairy products and small amounts of protein. Avoid sweets and other processed foods.
- Meditate or spend a minimum of five minutes daily in quiet time.
- Find your spiritual self. Discover what inspires you, raises your level of consciousness, motivates you, and satisfies your soul.
- Exercise your brain. Read, study, solve problems, and learn new skills. As does the body, the brain wastes away with lack of use.
- Hug a friend.
1/4 cup blueberries, frozen
8 oz Vanilla Yogurt, fat free
2 tbsp pineapple orange juice
6-10 ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in blender, and blend.
Servings: Two 8oz servings
Per serving: Calories 126, Protein 7g, Carbohydrates 26g, Fat 0g, Fibre 3.8g
Fabulous Fruit Salad
1 can pineapple chunks, drained with juice reserved
1 apple - peeled, cored and diced
1 orange - peeled, diced and juice reserved
1 banana, sliced
1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
- In a large bowl, toss together the pineapple, apple, orange, banana and grapes.
- Add the juice from the pineapple and orange and let chill until serving.
Servings: 6 Servings
Per serving: 106 calories, 0.4g fat; 1g Protein; 2.6g Fibre; 27.1g Carbohydrate; 1mg Sodium; 0mg Cholesterol
Rice With Vegetables
What you will need:
1 15oz can Stewed Tomatoes
1 15oz can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
2 cups mixed vegetables, frozen
1 cup water
¾ cup instant Brown Rice
½ teaspoon thyme
1 10oz can condensed Tomato Soup
1/3 cup Almonds, slivered
½ cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- Combine un-drained tomatoes, beans, vegetables, water, uncooked rice and thyme in a large skillet. Bring to a boil then reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato soup and almonds. Stir and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
Servings: Serves 4.
Per serving: Calories 354, Fat 10g, Protein 19g, Carbohydrate 57g, Cholesterol 8mg.
Optional: Add a dash of hot pepper sauce
What you will need:
2 boneless chicken breasts, skinless
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. Skim milk
1/4 tsp. each white, red and black pepper
non-fat cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees
- Rinse chicken and pat dry
- Spray pan with non-fat cooking spray.
- Place chicken on pan, meaty side up.
- Brush chicken breasts with milk.
- Sprinkle garlic over the tops of chicken breasts.
- Mix onion powder, thyme, and white, red, and black pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle mixture over chicken.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes.
Servings: Makes 2 servings.
Per Serving: Cal 267, Pro 53g, Carb 1.5, Fat 6g, Fibre 0.
Tip: Serve with lemon wedge, red pepper slices and sprig of parsley, as garnish.